Wednesday 6 August 2014

My unforgettable day...

Keerthana
With results day fast approaching, I wanted to share my experience of what I have to say was an unforgettable day…

Three years ago, I was in a similar situation to most of you…waiting eagerly for results day to arrive. I knew just as much as you all do, this day was going to be the day that was going to change my life forever! The day that would give me a direction and a chance to shape my future just how I wanted it to be! The day I would be able to clench those exam results with both hands and be rest assured that I’ve got that place on the course I really wanted to study, at the university I really wanted to study at.

Come results day… all was not what I was expecting. I missed my conditional offer by one grade (a few marks in fact) and I was put into Clearing (something I was not prepared for what so ever!) I started to panic not having a clue where to start! I felt so disappointed with myself; I just wanted to lock myself away somewhere. But I knew I had to pick myself up and act fast if I wanted to secure a place at university that year. Thankfully, the head of year at my school was there to advise me and after searching through the UCAS website and making several calls to the universities that were offering my course through Clearing; I finally got a place at this university.

And now, three years later, I have officially graduated with a first class BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science degree and working with the Enquiry Unit during the busy Clearing period for the third year running, speaking to students who are in Clearing just like I was, doing what I can do to make their dreams of studying their desired course at university a reality too. Success or what!

So what is the moral of the story I hear you ask? BE PREPARED FOR ANYTHING! Yes it will be very upsetting if you don’t achieve the results you were expecting and you don’t meet the conditions of the offer you were made. But as they say “where there is a will, there is a way!” Do a bit of research before results day: become familiar with the Clearing process, get a list of contact details of universities you could potentially apply to through Clearing and think about alternative courses you may have to apply to. On results day itself, try to get your hands on the Guardian newspaper which will have useful information about the universities who have places available in Clearing. Act fast and make those important phone calls. Do make sure you have your UCAS ID number to hand. And be prepared to give way a little and make sacrifices, such as the location of the university, to give you the best possible chance of securing a place at university. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment