Tuesday 29 July 2014

Mature Students

Joyce
Hi my name is Joyce; I am a mature student who gained admission to study Public Health (BSc) through Clearing and I have just recently graduated.

Clearing was a life saver for me, as I was bold enough to ring by the last week of Clearing in August 2010. The lady I spoke to was very helpful and ironically I am in that position now to advise students like me then who are confused.

I also chose to study at the University of Greenwich as it is one of the best Universities for Health and Social care programmes, you get a lot of help from both teaching and non-teaching staff, the environs are very serene and suitable for studying lastly it was not very far from home.

As a matured student and having previously studied in Africa, I had to equip myself with the necessary knowledge and qualifications required for my course. I completed the Access to Nursing course, which comprises of 45 credits at Level 3 and 15 at Level 2 including the important English and Maths (which covers your Level 2 grades).

As an employee of the Enquiry Unit, I find a lot of mature students do not gain admissions as they do not meet the entry requirements. Hence my tips to give you the best possible chance when applying for any course especially in Health and Social care:


  • If you have not studied for a long time or do not have the required Level 2 and 3 qualifications, your best bet is to enrol in an Access to Higher Diploma course with your local college. It is for a year but that goes really fast!
  • If you have those and calling us during Clearing, be prepared to send the required certificates or transcripts to us.
  • Things happen fast during Clearing, so be prepared for a fast paced response. Not a good time for a holiday, as if you do not accept your offer at a specified time it will be withdrawn. 
  • Lastly, be prepared when invited for an interview. Remember there are a lot of people in your shoes and they only pick the best. 


I wish you all the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment